Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Flight 93

I just watched Dateline's 9-11 special concerning those brave men and women from Flight 93. It still moves me to hear the stories of those "ordinary" people who knew they were going to die but refused to be a part of causing other innocent lives to be lost. God Bless them and their families.

I remember my dad calling me that morning to ask if I had heard that a plane had flown into the WTC. He said that he didn't think it was an accident and I just couldn't believe it. I told him that no way would someone intentionally do that! I quickly turned the TV to one of the local stations and watched as the second plane flew into the building. I sat by the TV all day and night and just could not believe what I was seeing. Those poor people who made the decision to jump....how awful it must have been to think that was a better option. I watched the documentary again last night about the Firemen who were first on the scene. In the video you can hear the bodies crashing to the ground. How those men stayed focused on their job is beyond me. Of course, I heard several other stories of men and women who helped others out the buildings and on the streets and it makes me wonder if I would have had the wherewithal and strength to do that.

In 2003 I went to NY with my family and we went to Ground Zero. I have pictures of the names of those who died and the buildings surrounding the site. I also have pictures of the sphere that was moved to Battery Park as a memorial. I still have not put those pics in my scrapbook. I feel like I am no where near talented enough to do them justice. We saw the small church across the street where so many rescue workers went for rest and prayer and it was so small. That is what has stuck with my stepmom and I.....just how small the hole was. I mean it was huge but not what I would have thought it would be...7 buildings in such a tight area. So many people lost. Which reminds me of all the stories of those people who were running late, or whatever else kept them from being in the towers at a time they normally would have been. As hard as it is to understand it just proves to me that God knew who was going to be there and even though it was a tragedy it was still in His plan. I don't pretend to understand why some things happen like this but I do pray that I remember who ultimately is in control.

No comments: