Friday, December 16, 2005

S is for......

SICK - which is what I have been off and on all week! I have had an annoying sore throat and headache. You know the kind....just enough to aggravate you but not enough to make you stay home and actually rest and get well!

STRESS - last weekend was very stressful for me. I am not sure I have fully recovered! My dad and brother went hunting last weekend with my uncles and a few friends. Well Saturday evening around 7pm I get a call..

Stepmom- "You may want to meet SIL and I at her house....we are going to the hospital"...pause....
Me: "Why...who has had to go to the hospital"
Stepmom - "Your brother fell out of a tree and you know your dad... when he went to help I guess he was nervous and he flipped the 4-wheeler over on him"
Me: "I'm on my way!"

Now I should say that I took this to mean that my brother had fallen out of his tree stand and that my dad in a mad rush to help his son accidently ran over him....or flipped the 4-wheeler on top of him! And this is what I told my mother as I am racing down the road to SIL's house. I also call stepmonster and ask her to cut her date short and come home so she can field any calls that come to the house. (This will be another S shortly!) I then call my other SIL and ask her to pray for their safety and my dad's mental health because I know dad would be freaking out if he hurt my brother.... even if it was an accident!

OK so we rush to hospital in Wilkes County (I am still not sure how we found it!) and on our way Stepmom tells me the story again....Brother was climbing "home-made" ladder to get to deer stand and fell off top rung....landed on his neck and shoulder.....Dad did race over to him but did not run over him....once brother was in ambulance Dad tried to turn his 4-wheeler around and the throttle got stuck causing him to run up a bank and flip the 4-wheeler on himself! Thankfully ambulance hadn't left yet and they helped uncles get Dad up and to the hospital.

Another thing I should tell you, is that on that side of the family we don't cut our finger without everyone in the family rushing to our aid. Which is a good thing in a way...but I am sure annoys hospital personnel to see 50 family members sitting in a waiting room.....OK maybe not 50 but I know there were at least 10 there and more we had to tell to stay home. Anyway, once I get to the hospital and see that Dad is in a cast (broken wrist) and has a nasty place on his leg (His gun was in his POCKET!!!) I go check on Brother. He is waiting on further X-rays but at that point we know he has cracked his T-4 vertebrae and has not broken his shoulder! 2 hours later they X-ray his foot because it had started to swell and he had fractured that as well! Fortunately there was no damage to his neck, brain or other vital organs and although they will both be sore for 6-8 weeks the Dr's think they will be fine! THANK GOD!

SELFISH - this another "S" I had to deal with.....well that I consistantly deal with concerning stepmonster. Remember earlier when I asked her to cut her date short and come home to field calls....well that was close to 7pm....at 9:30pm I call home to give her an update. NO ANSWER at home....I call her cell phone....

ME: "Hey, where are you?"
Stepmonster: "Not quite home"
ME: ??????????????? "Didn't I ask you to go home early? Why aren't you home?"
Stepmonster: "Where is your car? I thought you were going to hospital with stepmom?"
OK how did she know my car wasn't home unless she was there? OH because her SORRY SELF WAS NEXT DOOR WITH THE NEIGHBOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ME: so upset I can hardly speak..."BYE"

Does she ask how anyone is? NOPE!! Does she care? DOUBT IT!!


I know that part of the reason I was so upset with her had to do with the stress of the evening but how could she NOT just come home during a family emergency? I have hardly talked to her and I told her dad he was going to have to do something...anything with her! Not sure when he's going to do it but I just can't even look at her the same anymore. I mean I have known that she doesn't seem to care about anyone but herself(well that's not true....she does have her head up the neighbor's A$$ quite a bit so I guess she does care about him!) but she had just been giving us more and more attitude, not being involved with the family at all, just a whole list of things that are leading up to a major blow-up. I have jokingly said that I can't wait for her to move out for awhile, but now I am very serious! Call me a bad parent....call me selfish....I just don't know what else to do.

No comments: